Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Re-Discovered Tuneage and Movies

To while away the upcoming Xmas eve and New Years' Eve alone, I've been rummaging thru my vast collection of media and have re-discovered some lost gems. I've sort of forgotten just how good these are, and they are worth seeking out and repeated listenings/viewings. Here's the list.

1. American Beauty. One of the greatest movies of all time. I mean, you know this is gonna be a classic when you see the protagonist Lester Burnham, in the shower jerking off, lamenting "this is the highlight of my day. It's all downhill from here". Classic.

2. Eraserhead. Another Lynch masterpiece (all of them are), but this one has just that much more bleakness and overall hopelessness. I like to watch this at least once a year.

3. Cheap Trick, first album. Cheap Trick were never this heavy again, but this one is loud and angry. Peterson's bass is up in the mix and the whole band is on fire. Glimpses of this could be found on "Heaven Tonight" with "Auf Weidershen" but this remains their heaviest.

4. Faces: A Nod is as Good as a Wink to a Blind Horse. OK, I like the Faces,and this is their best album. The big hit was "Stay With Me" but most of it is good rock and roll.

5. Torch-Torch. This is a mid-80's power metal outfit from Sweden I believe. They were pretty much forgotten, but man this is one smoking riff-filled monster of a record.

6. Rush-Caress of Steel. I thought this was always one of the weaker early Rush albums, but now I like it. It's got a lot of light/heavy interludes and you just sort of get absorbed into the music. Of course everything post-Moving Pictures sucks doggie doo.

7. Alice Cooper-Love it to Death. My second favorite Cooper album after Killer, this one begins telling you it's all a dream (Caught in a Dream), and ends with you waking up from it (Sun Arise). Black Juju, baby!!

8. Mary My Hope-Museum. This was released and ignored around 1989, but I think it's a great album. Real heavy guitars, depressing lyrics, light/heavy kinda song structures.

9. Gimme Shelter. My all-time favorite concert "documentary" with the well known Stones Altamont gig chronicled. Really just a bunch of drunken stoned kids, just like concerts are like now, so what's the big deal??

10. Jacob's Ladder. A Lynchian kinda film where you really don't know what is real or not, but nevertheless a great great film.

11. Buffalo 66. A Vincent Gallo film, this dude is whacked and so is this film. Has a huge breasted Christina Ricci as the subject of his lust. "Just spanning time, spanning time".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home