Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Sound


I bought a Les Paul Standard back in the late 90s, a cherryburst. It's a nice axe, but WAAAAYY too heavy (one of the heaviest Pauls i've ever felt), and never quite sounded that good. So I had it, but never really played it much. The thing weighs a ton.

Anyway, since I had a few extra DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups laying around, I decided to swap out the stock Gibson humbuckers and pop them in.

Jesus, that did it!!!

I couldn't believe that those pickups could make that much difference, but they do. This is the rock sound. Ace Frehley is right!!! The Super Distortions kick ass!!!

Plugged into a Marshall, or even a Peavey Bandit (see previous blog entry about that bad boy), it's the definitive Les Paul rock and roll sound. Thick, meaty, not too trebly, just perfect.

It seems that the Super Distortion is the perfect match for the Les Paul. It's like peanut butter and jelly. Cheesesteak and fried onions. Dips and lose. I mean, I don't think a Dimebucker will sound as good in a Paul as the SD. Nor EMG's like that idiot Zakk Wylde. I had EMG's decades ago, and I thought they sucked. The Gibson Dirty Fingers are good, though.

Get em loaded into your Paul and light up a joint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home